Jan 9, 2010

Book Review: WAKE

Title: Wake
Author: Lisa McMann
Rating:
Good if...you want something different, something quick, and something a little dark

Summary (Amazon):
Not all dreams are sweet. For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams is getting old. Especially the falling dreams, the naked-but-nobody-notices dreams, and the sex-crazed dreams. Janie's seen enough fantasy booty to last her a lifetime. She can't tell anybody about what she does -- they'd never believe her, or worse, they'd think she's a freak. So Janie lives on the fringe, cursed with an ability she doesn't want and can't control. Then she falls into a gruesome nightmare, one that chills her to the bone. For the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant....

My thoughts....
I read this book last spring but I wanted to comment on it because of how much it stuck with me. Lots of times I read books...good books, but after a week or two I forget about them. I mean how many times does this happen? A book could be wonderful but have no lasting value. But not Wake. I think because it was so unique. Lisa's writing style is very different--choppy, present tense, fast paced--but that's what I liked most. It cut straight to the point, in a very edgy way. Then it was dark. It wasn't tied up with a pretty pink bow, like most of the books I read but it was real life and dirty and wonderfully done. And Cabel is a perfect compliment to Janie. There relationship won't disappoint! I've since read Fade and let me tell you, wow, it blew me away the same as Wake did! I'm scared and excited for Gone--the 3rd book in Lisa's trilogy, due out February. If you haven't read Wake and Fade, do it! Both books were around 200 pages and readable in one sitting...so, the short length was my only complaint--and only because I wanted more. Overall: 5/5 Rating!!

6 comments:

Heather G. said...

I couldn't get into this one...couldn't even finish it even though it was so short. But I am in the minority!

Adriana said...

I didn't really like Wake, but Fade got so much better. I was so sad for Janie. I can't wait for Gone to come out.

sarah darlington said...

I'm afraid gone will be ever more sad. I can't wait for it but I'm also dreading it a little...just knowing how it might end.

YellowBanana said...

I agree, I loved Wake, and Fade was equally as good (if not better) but so depressing, and Gone will probably be even sadder :(

vvb32 reads said...

i loved this one too. still have to read book 2.

christa @ mental foodie said...

Will dd this to TBD, the premise sounds interesting!