Apr 10, 2010

Wannabe Writers #11

Wannabe Writers is my weekly meme. It's a writing group for the un-published and anyone is welcome to join. It's a place where future authors can ask questions, share stories, and get feedback. Click (here) to find out how it works.

Where I am in the writing process: Novel one: Finished 1st draft (70,000 words and total crap) Novel two: Nearly finished 1st draft (60,000 words and sort of crap, sort of okay) Novel three: My current WIP (13,000 words)

My current problems: Wondering if my current story is working. I got some negative feedback on it from one of my critique partners (one who I once thought was a sugar-coater, the type that only gave positive responses). Here's exactly what she said: Just finished the first read through of your story. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel about it right off the bat. The teen speak and shenanigans were a bit distracting. That could be because I'm 28 though :). Maybe it wouldn't bother someone younger. I guess after that I'm feeling a bit discouraged but still...I've realized she's right.

My question this week: When do you drop a story line, give up and move on to something new?

7 comments:

Swimmer said...

Hi! My answer isn't super long but I still put it on my blog so check it out!

Anonymous said...

OMG! We are at day 30!!!

Bookish in a Box said...

I don't know what your WIP is about, but teen speak and shenanigans might be great for someone still in their teens. Do you have a teen you could shoot it to for their opinion?

Madeleine said...

Well, I'd be willing to read through the bits that your beta was troubled over - I'm 14 and live in the midst of teenagers, obviously. I'd love to lend a hand if you'd like to send me a little excerpt. :D

porcelaine said...

First of all, I doubt if either are total crap. We tell ourselves the silliest things sometimes. You're to be congratulated for completing them both. That's why editing was made, it fixes the not so good parts.

As for the question, I stick with my original response. I move on to something else and when inspiration or insight returns, I pick it up again.

porcelaine said...

Sarah, I just had a thought. My daughter is 19. If you want to shoot a few pages my way you're welcome to do so. She's also a writer and her feedback might be helpful. :)

sarah darlington said...

sure thing porcelaine!