May 9, 2011

Book Review: MATCHED

Title: Matched
Author: Ally Condie
Publication Date: November 2010
My Rating: 4.5/5--Really good! Worth your time!
Plot in one word: Dystopian
Good if…you want a sweet forbidden romance
Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows with complete certainty that he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black.  The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.

My thoughts… This book was near perfection. A flawless concept, a heart-wrenching romance, just enough mystery/suspense to tie it all together, and a fantastic cast of characters. Let me go into more detail on those things.
1: The Concept. Every person in this futuristic utopian-like society gets ‘matched’ with their perfect pair at the age of 17. It’s computer generated, but done to basically find you your soul mate. I thought this concept was so cool. AND, reasonably believable. People would want this.
2: The Romance. Unpredictable in a predictable society. I don’t want to say more for spoiler reasons. Just know that the romance was deep and intense and my favorite part of the novel.
3. The Mystery/Suspense. Slowly you begin to see the flaws in the perfect society and it makes the intensity grow and grow. It wasn’t just the whole ‘big brother is watching you’ usual ordeal.
4. The Characters. All great. I loved the little brother, the grandfather, Cassia, and the two boys she’s caught between. Even the mother and father added so much to the story.
All in all this was a fantastic book. Part 1 of a fantastic book. The ending left you hanging off a cliff and that’s why my rate is near perfect at 4.5 starts out of 5.


If you liked MATCHED; you might also like...
POSSESSION by Elana Johnson

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Despite what most people think, I did like this book but it induced so many angry hopeless feelings in me that I struggled with it. Oh, and I hated Ky! I'm glad you enjoyed it.