Oct 7, 2011

Wannabe Writers #62 (Being Ready)

Wannabe Writers is my Internet writing group. Basically, my posts are about my current writing progress, my problems, and any questions I need help answering. If you've created a similar post of your own lately, feel free to link in the comments.

Where I am in the writing process: Unpublished! Been trying this whole writing thing for nearly 3 years now...and here I am...still unpublished and unfinished. I mean, you'd think in 3 years time I would have a completed novel. I don't. But I'm not giving up.

My current problem(s): So I've been trying to focus all my energy on finishing my novel Elixir.  It's getting there...slowly.  But as the end is nearing, I've been considering sending out my query letter to agents vs. e-publishing.  I'd love to see my novel in hardcover on a bookstore self someday.  Isn't that the ultimate writer's dream?  At the same time e-publishing has such a great appeal.  It's like instant gratification in a way.  If I e-publish I would be able to get my book out there immediately and without the possibly hard critque and rewrites an agent might give. 
I'm kind of getting ahead of myself.  My book isn't even finished yet.  I've just wondering lately if I'll ever be ready to send out something to an agent.  I think there are people out there who will like my book, but it's the professionals out there who  I think are gonna tear it apart.  My writing is average.  I'm not being negative or self-doubting, I'm simply stating face.  It's just...I know I'm not the worlds best.  And let's face it, very few are.  I'm just wondering...even when I finish my novel...is my writing good enough to send out to agents? 
My question(s) this week: How do you know when you're ready?  When you've reached your "million bad words" so to speak?

2 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Kick the self doubt to the curb. If you never give up, you'll never fail. There might be some bumps along the way. A bad review, maybe even a poorly written book, but that's not failure. That's learning. When you give up and quit, that's failing.

sarah darlington said...

Miranda--thanks. I was getting very self-doubting this week. I switched up my whole post because of what you said :)