Dec 19, 2011

Book Review: GRACELING

Title: GRACELING
Author: Kristin Cashore
Release Date: 2008
My Rating: 5/5--Incredible! Loved it!
Plot in One Word: Fantasy
Good if...you want something magical, romantic, and kick-butt
Katsa has been able to kill a man with her bare hands since she was eight--she's a Graceling, one of the rare people in her land born with an extreme skill. As niece of the king, she should be able to live a life of privilege, but Graced as she is with killing, she is forced to work as the king's thug.
When she first meets Prince Po, Graced with combat skills, Katsa has no hint of how her life is about to change. She never expects to become Po's friend. She never expects to learn a new truth about her own Grace--or about a terrible secret that lies hidden far away . . . a secret that could destroy all seven kingdoms with words alone.
With elegant, evocative prose and a cast of unforgettable characters, debut author Kristin Cashore creates a mesmerizing world, a death-defying adventure, and a heart-racing romance that will consume you, hold you captive, and leave you wanting more.
My thoughts... 
An oldie but a goodie.  After the TWILIGHT craze got me addicted to reading young adult novels, GRACELING was one of the very next novels I read in the genre.  It's remained one of my favorites as others just come and go.  And so I decided to re-read it and see how it still compared.
And I'm happy to say it's was just as amazing the 2nd time around.  It's kind of like this great little package, filled with everything one would want in the ultimate YA.  You have the kick-butt heroine who reminds me of Katniss from HUNGER GAMES.  The mystical world with one of the coolest paranormal twists ever.  The action.  The mystery.  The danger.  One creepy bad guy.  And, of course, Po who remains one of my top literary crushes.  SO all in all it's a fantastic book and I couldn't recommend it more.
The one little thing I think that might turn some people off is the fantasy aspect to this novel.  I tend not to read novels based in anything but the real world.  This is like a mix between middle-earth and the middle-ages.  However, it didn't stop me from loving this book.  I typically hate fantasy, so if I liked it I'm sure most others would too.

The Bottom Line: Read it!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I love this one too. Maybe it's time for a re-read. I'm surprised you liked it if you don't like fantasy. That say's something about the awesomeness of the book.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this cover though I have never picked it up to read! If it was worth a re-read, I will definitely give it a shot =).

Also, I just got back into the blogging world and love your new look! Change is always fun =).