Jul 17, 2010

Wannabe Writers #25

Wannabe Writers is a writing group for the un-published and anyone is welcome to join. It's a place where future authors can ask questions, share stories, and get feedback. Click (here) to find more about how it works.

Where I am in the writing process: Unpublished. Been writing since Nov. 2008.

My current problem(s):  As I've been writing this week I've been wondering: is my writing exciting enough?  Some authors have this way with words where they can hook you in with just about every sentence.  It's like every sentence has been strung together perfectly, with thought and purpose.  I'm not sure if I write that way.  I'm just not articulate like that.  In school I was never very good at English/spelling.  I was always a math/science person.  That brings me to my question...

This week's question:  What does it truly take to be a great writer?  Anyone can sit down and write.  But what makes someone great/good enough to get published?

3 comments:

Witless Exposition said...

I think plot has a lot to do with it. I've read some terribly written books that had a great plot or premise. Focus on your plotline first.

Then characters are really important. Make sure your dialogue sounds realistic and their actions make sense.

Maybe keep a notebook of sentences you really like in books you read? Then you'll get a feel for what you see as really interesting writing. No one has a patent on sentence structure, so you can model sentences after the authors you like.

Sa Toya said...

Happy to say this is my first partaking in this meme.

Plot,timing,luck....sooo many things play a role in getting published!

Miranda Hardy said...

Hi Sarah! I believe really great writing is subjective, but the key to being published is to never give up trying. I hope you have a great week and good luck with the challenge!