Mar 12, 2011

Wannabe Writers #45 (Swoon worthy Guys)

Wannabe Writers is an Internet writing group. Everyone is welcome to join. It's a place to meet other writers, ask questions, and get feedback.  Bascially, my posts are about my current writing progress, my problems, and any questions I need help answering.  If you've created a similar post of your own lately, feel free to link in the comments.

Where I am in the writing process: Unpublished.

My current problem(s): Characterization.  (Is that a word?)  Lately I've been really caught up in this idea and struggling to actually incorporate character qualities into my book.  Trust me; this is one of the hardest things I've had to tackle--still am tackling--and will probably never be able to master.  Are my characters believable?  Are they 2-dimensional or 3?  Are my characters consistent?  Do they have motivation?  Would they really say or act like that? 

I've read about all the tricks.  (This post is great for building a character.)  How to work subtle description of physical traits into the novel here and there.  But the way they physically look isn't what I'm really worried about.  I'm more worried about WHO they are.  My main character was the hardest to set straight.  At first she was shy and timid--kind of like me--but after writing 1/2 my novel I decided that didn't work.  She was too predictable and readers love to taken by surprise.  So I changed her.  Now she's still a little shy, but certainly not timid.  Then there's her romantic interest in the novel.  Which brings me to a whole other level of questions?  Is the guy in my novel 'swoon worthy'? 

Late Bloomer Online recently did a post (here) about Swoon Worthy Characters and that got me thinking about the guys in my novel.  What makes a guy swoon worthy?  His hair?  His attitude?  His love?  His actions?  So now on top of worrying about 'are my characters more than 2-dimensional' but are they also 'romantically compatiable'? 

It's hard being a wannabe writer.  :( 

My question(s) this week:  What makes a guy character 'swoon worthy'?  For you?

1 comment:

Miranda Hardy said...

Tall, dark and handsome is a cliche, but one that still works for me. I enjoy reading about strong characters, both pyhsically and mentally. But, I do not like characters without some flaws.

Characterization is not as easy as some make it out to be. It never ceases to amaze me how many people think writing a novel is an easy task. It's not.