Oct 20, 2011

Book Review: FIRELIGHT

Title: FIRELIGHT
Author: Sophie Jordan
Release Date: 09/07/2010
My Rating: 5/5--Incredible! Loved it!
Plot in One Word: Dragons
Good if...you want something intriguing and romantic
A hidden truth.
Mortal enemies.
Doomed love.
Marked as special at an early age, Jacinda knows her every move is watched. But she longs for freedom to make her own choices. When she breaks the most sacred tenet among her kind, she nearly pays with her life. Until a beautiful stranger saves her. A stranger who was sent to hunt those like her. For Jacinda is a draki—a descendant of dragons whose greatest defense is her secret ability to shift into human form.
Forced to flee into the mortal world with her family, Jacinda struggles to adapt to her new surroundings. The only bright light is Will. Gorgeous, elusive Will who stirs her inner draki to life. Although she is irresistibly drawn to him, Jacinda knows Will's dark secret: He and his family are hunters. She should avoid him at all costs. But her inner draki is slowly slipping away—if it dies she will be left as a human forever. She'll do anything to prevent that. Even if it means getting closer to her most dangerous enemy.
Mythical powers and breathtaking romance ignite in this story of a girl who defies all expectations and whose love crosses an ancient divide.
My thoughts...This book was mesmerizing, impossible to put down, and one of my new favorites.

You know, I've had it sitting on my shelf for forever now--collecting dust--while something held me back.  It's funny because the dragon/shapeshifter plot was the one thing that drew me to this book and simultaneously it was also what turned me away from it.  I guess I liked the concept, but felt perhaps it was just too good to be true, hard to live up to.  But surprise surprise!  That so wasn't the case!  This novel exceeded all my expectation and then some.  :)

Let me start with the characters.  Loved them!  Jacinda is fiery and spunky and lovable.  While Will is sweet and caring and so swoon-worthy.  Then the mythical element to this story.  Loved it too!  The twists and turns kept coming and certainly kept me on the edge of my seat as a reader.  All I know it that I'm putting in an order for the 2nd novel, VANISH, right now!  I want to read it as soon as possible!  That's how much I loved FIRELIGHT!

If you liked FIRELIGHT; then you might like...
TWILIGHT by Stephenie Meyer


**Special note:  You might be wondering why I just compared this novel to TWILIGHT.  I did it mostly because there were a couple moments of Twilight-ness towards the end of the novel when the romance picked up.  If you're a Twilight lover you'll like this, and if you're a Twilight hater...don't worry, overall this book is nothing like Twilight and Jacinda is nothing like Bella. **

4 comments:

Jennifer | Mrs Q Book Addict said...

This one sounds really good. Glad to see that you enjoyed it so much. Great review!

Laura @ A Jane of All Reads said...

I just picked up this book because I've totally gotten hooked on Miz Jordan's historical romances and I want to see what she does with YA. Your Twilight comment scared me so I'm really glad you put in the little note to clarify!

Jenny said...

This one had so many things that bothered me and yet I ended up liking it. I'm glad you don't have to wait for Vanish.

sarah darlington said...

Jenny--Too funny!

Jane--There was just this one line that was so Twilight I couldn't get over it. I think the line in Twilight was something about a lion falling in love with a lamb...and I swear in Firelight it was so close to that same line it was funny.