Mar 30, 2012

Book Review: BALTHAZAR

Title: BALTHAZAR
Author: Claudia Gray
Other books by author: EVERNIGHT
Release Date: March 6, 2012
My Rating: 3.5/5-- Decent. It was okay.
One Word Plot: Vampires
Good if...you're looking for something more after the EVERNIGHT series
For hundreds of years, the vampire Balthazar has been alone—without allies, without love.
When Balthazar agrees to help Skye Tierney, a human girl who once attended Evernight Academy, he has no idea how dangerous it will be. Skye’s newfound psychic powers have caught the attention of Redgrave, the cruel, seductive master vampire responsible for murdering Balthazar and his family four centuries ago. Now Redgrave plans to use Skye’s powers for his own evil purposes.
Balthazar will do whatever it takes to stop Redgrave and exact his long-awaited revenge against his killer. As Skye and Balthazar stand together to fight him, they grow closer—first unwillingly, then undeniably. Balthazar realizes his lonely world could finally be changed by her. . . .
My thoughts...
BALTHAZAR is the companion novel to the EVERNIGHT series.  Basically this book picks up right where the last EVERNIGHT book left off...expect now instead of following Lucius and Bianca we're following around Balthazar and his (soon to be) new love interest Skye.  That being said, you don't really have to have read any previous Claudia Gray novels if you want to read this one.  It's basically a brand new story and a brand new start.  Many of the same characters from the EVERNIGHT series are part of this novel, but no prior knowledge is really needed to enjoy this book.  However...

This novel is no EVERNIGHT!  It was alright, enjoyable, and semi-entertaining--I read through it rather quickly--but never once did it sweep me off my feet nor capture the same mystery/intensity I felt while reading EVERNIGHT.  In EVERNIGHT I loved the romance between Lucius and Bianca; In BALTHAZAR I only liked the romance between Balthazar and Skye.  Which was disappointing since I've always been super fond of Balthazar and found him particularly swoon-worthy.  But I guess it just turns out that I prefer the stereotypical 'bad boy' to win the girl.  I prefer my romantic to have friction and that forbidden factor.  Claudia Gray tried to give Balthy and Skye those things, but it didn't really capture what I wanted.  So--like I said before--BALTHAZAR wasn't a bad novel...it just wasn't knock-your-socks-off-spectacular either.  

All in all--the most I can really say for this book is that it was OK

If you liked BALTHAZAR; then you might also like...
EVERNIGHT by Claudia Gray
NEED by Carrie Jones

Overall recommendation: Skip it?

No comments: