Sep 27, 2012

Book Review: I AM NUMBER FOUR

Title: I AM NUMBER FOUR
Author: Pittacus Lore
Publication Date: 08/2010
My Rating: 4.5/5--Really good!  Worth your time!
Plot in One Word: Aliens 
Good if...you want something fast paced and filled with action

Nine of us came here. We look like you. We talk like you. We live among you. But we are not you. We can do things you dream of doing. We have powers you dream of having. We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen. We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books—but we are real. Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them. But they found us and started hunting us first. Now all of us are running. Spending our lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in. we have lived among you without you knowing. But they know. 

They caught Number One in Malaysia.
Number Two in England. 
And Number Three in Kenya. 
They killed them all. 

I am Number Four. I am next.
My thoughts... 
I'm sure you've probably heard of I AM NUMBER FOUR.  Remember...that movie that came out a year or so ago.  Well, I saw the movie.  I liked the movie enough.  I never really considered reading the book.  Then my dad downloaded the first three books (yes, there are 3 out so far) to his eReader and since I have access to it I figured I'd give them a try.  SO glad I did!!!  Let's start with book 1: I AM NUMBER FOUR.

Basic concept: 9 aliens on earth with special powers (legacies) who are being hunted by another evil alien race who wants to first destroy them then earth.  The 9 have to be killed in order, 1-3 are dead, #4 is next.  John (his latest alias) is #4 and he's hiding out in small town Paradise Ohio with his guardian (cepan) Henri.  

This novel was pretty different then the typical YA I read.  My typical YA: paranormal romance to the max! I would classify this as more fast-paced boy-action.  It was interesting/exciting watching John discover his legacies, learn how to make friends, fit in at school, deal with school bullies, train with Henri, and then later fight the evil aliens (Mogs) at the end.  And even though the romance was 2nd rate (not all that romantic) I still high enjoyed reading this one!  Although, THE POWER OF SIX (book #2) and THE RISE OF NINE (book #3) were better.  


If you liked this novel you might also like:
ANNA DRESS IN BLOOD by Kendare Blake
BEASTLY by Alex Flinn

Bottom line:  Read it! 

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I've yet to read The Rise of Nine. Argh! I need to get to it. I want to know what's going to happen!