Mar 23, 2013

Review: CLOCKWORK PRINCESS

Title: CLOCKWORK PRINCESS 
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publication Date: 03/19/2013
My Rating: 4/5--I enjoyed it.
Plot in One Word:  Angels and Demons
Good if...you're a Cassandra Clare fan like me.
THE INFERNAL DEVICES WILL NEVER STOP COMING A net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute. Mortmain plans to use his Infernal Devices, an army of pitiless automatons, to destroy the Shadowhunters. He needs only one last item to complete his plan: he needs Tessa Gray. Charlotte Branwell, head of the London Institute, is desperate to find Mortmain before he strikes. But when Mortmain abducts Tessa, the boys who lay equal claim to her heart, Jem and Will, will do anything to save her. For though Tessa and Jem are now engaged, Will is as much in love with her as ever. As those who love Tessa rally to rescue her from Mortmain’s clutches, Tessa realizes that the only person who can save her is herself. But can a single girl, even one who can command the power of angels, face down an entire army? Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment, and the tangled threads of love and loss intertwine as the Shadowhunters are pushed to the very brink of destruction in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy.

My Thoughts... The final installment in Cassandra Clare's Infernal Devices Series is finally here!

I'm one of Cassandra Clare's biggest fans.  Really, you too?  Cool.  Like me, you've probably read all her books thus far and naturally are wanting to get your paws on this one too.  So here's what you can expect:

This is the 3rd and final novel in The Infernal Devices series.--Wait!  Hold up.  Stop the review!!!--  It's been so long since I read the last novel in this series and my memory is awful.  I can't remember squat!  Oh, no!  Should I go back and reread the past two books?  Nah.  It will be okay, I promise.  I thought I'd forgotten everything, but it turned out okay.  Cassandra Clare doesn't start her books recapping like crazy and retelling, but you'll catch up pretty quick and easily get thrown back into the story.  I did.  But in case you're worried, here are a few tips to start you off.  Mortmain is the bad guy!  He's been creating those evil pesky clockwork creatures.  Tessa is engaged to Jem, but she secretly loves Will too.  In the first two novels Will thought he had some curse on him--that's why he used to be a jerk and push people away--but it turns out there never was a curse in the first place.  Jem is sick and dying slowly, he needs his yin fin (or whatever it was called) to keep him alive.  Cecily is Will's little sister.  Gideon and Gabriel are the Lightwood brothers.   Sophie is the servant; she and Gideon have a little something something going on.  Blah.  Blah.  Blah.  There are so many details in Cassandra Clare's books that it's impossible to remember them all.  It'll all come back as you read.  Now, on to the review...

So since this is the last and final book in this particular series.  I don't want to give anything away, but here are the conclusions you can expect:  (1) the 'final showdown' between Tessa and the evil Mortimain, (2) Tessa being forced to choose between Will and Jem, (3) answers as to who (or what) Tessa really is, (4) never ending drama and action, (5) more funny moments with Magnus Bane (my fav), (6) and the most tearful epilogue I have ever read.  All in all, things were wrapped up nicely.  No lingering questions and I felt pretty satisfied with the way things concluded.  And like so many reviews before mine have already said, Tessa got to have her cake and eat it too.

Was it the best book I ever read?  No.  Was it Cassandra Clare's best book ever?  No.  But it was good enough to own and read, so I suggest you do just that.  :)

No comments: